Tuesday, August 19, 2008

KSU's Freeman recalls recruiting reverse

With quarterback Josh Freeman set to enter his junior year at Kansas State, the story of how he de-committed from Nebraska to sign with the Wildcats and coach Ron Prince is old news.

However, Freeman did touch on the subject at last month’s Big 12 media days, noting how Prince won him over back in December of 2005.

“At that time, I would say I was maybe kind of wavering in my commitment to Nebraska,” Freeman said. “Missouri coaches have been in my ear, my dad really wanted me to go visit Oklahoma and several coaches were wanting to schedule in-home visits.”

After Prince was named the head coach at Kansas State, Freeman was told by his father that Prince wanted want of those in-home visits.

“At that point, I didn’t really even seen Kansas State anywhere in the picture,” Freeman said. “I was like, ‘Well, it’s his time. He can waste it if he wants.”

Freeman said Prince arrived soon after and visited with his parents for an hour before he got home from school. Then, he started putting the full-court press on Freeman.

“Man, he just really blew us out of the water and with just the type of man he was,” Freeman said. “Coach Prince had similar types of beliefs and morals and the type of stuff we believed in. My parents loved him.

“I still wasn’t sold on the idea of coming to Kansas State, but in the back of my mind, I was kind of thinking (Prince) was the right guy to play for.”

Freeman said he then took an unofficial visit to KSU’s campus in Manhattan, Kan., on a December day during the semester break to check things out.

“It was like a ghost town and a cloudy day and I was thinking, ‘Why would I want to come here?” Freeman said. “But I talked to my parents about it, prayed about it and it ended up being the right decision.”

Posted by Terry Douglass @ Tuesday, August 19, 2008 ||

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]


HuskersHQ BLogger Network

Previous Posts

Archives

Links