Sunday, September 04, 2005

The morning after

OK, so it seems some of you thought I was a little soft in my column on Nebraska following Saturday's harrowingly-close 25-7 win to open the season against NCAA Division I-AA Maine.

Admittedly, there's no way that a I-AA team picked to be in the middle of the pack in its conference should be hanging around against a program like Nebraska in the fourth quarter. However, do keep in mind that the Black Bears are college athletes, too, and though they might not have the depth a major college team is supposed to have, they do have some solid players. Nebraska center Kurt Mann told me that some of Maine's defensive linemen were just as good as those he faced while playing 10 I-A games last season.

While Nebraska was anything but dominant, there were flashes of potential. Truth is, I believe the Huskers displayed more potential in this year's season opener than they did in last year's blowout against Western Illinois. Zac Taylor, though he lacks mobility, is a significant upgrade in passing accuracy, going through his progressions and reading defenses. Plus, he will improve. More importantly, the defense looks to be much improved and that -- combined with an increased special teams threat -- should help the Huskers stay in most of their games.

Be patient. Give it time. Let's see how things develop in the first month before proclaiming that Nebraska is either back or a bust.

Posted by Terry Douglass @ Sunday, September 04, 2005 ||

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Comments:
Man, this is hilarious because I woke up this morning wating to read your next diatribe about the current staff, poor game management and all that jazz only to find a kindler, gentler Terry Douglass.

I liked what I read.

From my couch in the basement, I agreed with most of your premise. It's going to be interesting to see how we react to Wake next week but I'm anxious to watch.

The defense is much improved -- though I could handle Cosgrove keeping those corners a bit closer. And, the touchdown was a rude awakening to newbie Bryan Wilson (wasn't he in the Beach Boys??).

The young guys, notably Cryer on defense and Lucky on offense will get much more time as the season progresses.

As well, I was impressed with Callahan keeping Lucky in the game in the fourth quarter when ball possession was a must.

Let's hope the coaching staff gets Nunn and Ross to take a ball to class this week and make them hold on.
Posted by Blogger Tony Chapman : 12:44 PM
 
I'm glad to see that ther is at least one journalist that gives his readers the opportunity to read between the lines. I don't care how big a school you are or
how great your recruitment is new systems are a hold back until you can iorn thse wrinkles out against a another team playing for the same stakes you are, a victory. I belive it will come.
I believe week after week the team as a whole will get better.
So all of you Faithfull Husker fans, be FAITHFULL.
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 4:51 AM
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


HuskersHQ BLogger Network

Previous Posts

Archives

Links